Theodore Herfurth and Teddy Kubly Awards for Initiative and Efficiency
Nomination deadline: February 18, 2013*
Student application deadline: March 3, 2013
*UW-Madison faculty and staff may nominate senior students here. Alternately, they may email email@example.com with nominees' names and email addresses.
These awards, supported by the Theodore Herfurth and Teddy Kubly family, are awarded to a senior man and senior woman who made the maximum use of their time at UW–Madison, demonstrating productivity in the classroom and the community. The awards are among the oldest presented at the university; the Herfurth award for a senior man was introduced in 1928, followed by the Kubly award for a senior woman in 1943.
Two awards are given each year, one to a senior man, the other to a senior woman. Award recipients receive $2,000 each. Honorable mentions may also be named and receive a cash award of $500 each.
- Nomination by UW-Madison faculty or staff
- Senior standing, will graduate May/August/December of calendar year
- Academic achievement and recognition
- Participation and leadership in significant extra-curricular activities (includes performance in the creative arts)
- Financial self-support and personal initiative
- Written and oral communication skills
Must be nominated by UW–Madison faculty or staff. Nominated students will be invited to complete an online application, which includes a resume and short essay. The Herfurth-Kubly Committee will invite 8–10 finalists to a luncheon in late March or April. Attendance at the luncheon is mandatory. At this event candidates complete the last part of the application process; two short speeches, one prepared and one impromptu.
Student Application: Nominated students apply online through Scholarships@UW-Madison.
- Log on to MyUW at https://my.wisc.edu
- Select the Student Services tab at the top of the page
- Find Scholarships@UW-Madison and clic on the" Enter Scholarships@UW–Madison" link. This is a new resource developed to help students find department, school/college and campus-wide scholarship opportunities. After logging-in and answering a few yes/no questions, you will be presented with links to applications for scholarships for which you are eligible, with open application cycles. You may want to check the site frequently to see what new opportunities are available. If you do not see the Herfurth-Kubly application in your list, even though you were nominated and plan to graduate in May, August or December of this calendar year, please contact the UAA Office (firstname.lastname@example.org, 265-2428).
Contact person: Julie Stubbs, 265-2428, email@example.com